Hi there! I’ve been looking forward to sharing my thoughts on this show for such a long time! Wanted to finish watching the final season before writing this. Game of Thrones is set on a mythical country of Westeros, based on the book ‘A song of ice and fire’ by George R. R. Martin. It is a tale of seven kingdoms who are in constant conflict to sit on the mighty Iron Throne.
- Where would you rank it among your favorite shows?
Top 20 for sure.
2. From 1-10, how obsessed are you?
I’d say I was at 7. Not too much that it’s all I think or talk about all the time but interested enough to keep the intrigue going.
3. How did you discover the show?
My siblings introduced me to the show. They were discussing an episode and I asked what it was all about. They encouraged me to watch it as they believed I would enjoy it. I started watching GoT after season 6 had ended. It was fun binge-watching from season 1 to 6 in a week.
4. What was your initial thought of the show and did it change after watching it?
I found it intriguing as they were many power houses at play. Power always makes for good drama. It got more interesting for me as I got invested in the characters especially the Starks.
5. Why do you like the show?
I like it because it leaves nothing to imagination. If you want to see a bloody battle with all the gory details, that’s what you get. If it’s intimacy, yep you got it. It portrays the primal nature of man to the barest detail. It tackles family, loyalty and betrayal, politics and diplomacy, relationships and survival.
6. Who are your favorite characters?
Ned Stark – He had a good heart and was a man of principle and integrity.
Jon Snow – Raised a Stark, he believed in justice and principle. He always thought the best of people.
Rob Stark – He was courageous as a leader and warrior.
Sansa Stark – she wasn’t my favorite in the early seasons but she grew on me as her character evolved.
Arya Stark – loved her from her very first scene in season one. Strong and fearless.
Tyrion Lannister – loved him for his wits and diplomacy skills. He knew just what to say to quench one’s rage and make one see reason. He was born to be a Hand of the King.
Khal Drogo – Though his time was short and his Dothraki clan was somewhat savage, he really loved Daenerys and was ready to go to the end of the world for her. If that’s not love, then I don’t know what else is.
Sandor Clegane (Hound) – He was ruthless but he had a somewhat soft spot for the Stark sisters.
Lord Varys – he was smart with information.
Tormund Giantsbane – he was a funny and interesting fellow and his crush on Brienne of Tarth was amusing to watch.
7. Least favorite characters?
Theon Greyjoy – although he redeemed himself in the end, I found him mostly annoying. His betrayal of the Starks made him unlikable to me.
Daenerys Targaryen – I know most people loved her but I found her annoying most of the time. She felt too entitled to everyone’s allegiance and her method of getting people to confirm by execution was distasteful to me.
I wasn’t surprised when she snapped the way she did in the final series. And I wasn’t sad by her ending too. She had become too dangerous for the world.
- Jamie Lannister – why, because he pushed Bran and crippled the poor boy. Never got over that.
- Stannis Baratheon – he was very gullible as king. Not an inspiring character.
- 7. Favorite villains?
- Joffrey Baratheon – He was a terrible king but I loved seeing him on screen. Wanted to know what other wickedness he would display. His death was epic and oddly satisfying to watch.
- Cersei Lannister – What can I say about the Queen of the seven kingdoms? Strong willed and heartless in the worst way possible. Per what she had done from season one, I wished she had gotten a more painful end but come to think of it, she endured the walk of shame, right? But even that didn’t purge her of her wickedness. She was stubborn to the end.
- Ramsey Bolton – He was such a horrible person! But he was so interesting to watch on screen. The battle of the Bastards is one of my favorite episodes.
- 8. Who is your crush on the show?
Jon Snow, I guess.
9. If you were to be a character, who would you choose?
Arya Stark. She went through a lot but she didn’t let it break her. It made her stronger.
10. Favorite season
I don’t remember all the significant events in the seasons but I enjoyed all of them.
11. Do you follow the cast and show on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube?
I followed the show on Facebook and YouTube.
12. Which of the characters would you like to meet?
Arya, Daenerys, Cersei, Jon, Tyrion.
13. What lesson(s) have you learnt from the show?
Politics is a like a game of cards so you should learn how to play it well. As Cersei said, in the game of thrones, you either win or die.
Family is important so is justice. Right or wrong shouldn’t be compromised. It only comes back to haunt you if you do.
Have you watched Game of Thrones? Who was your favorite character and why? Kindly share and thanks for reading.
© Josephine Amoako