What is life without music? It brings the perfect ambience to any space and keeps the soul present company. It’s the first thing I listen to when I wake up and stays with me for the most part of each day. Per my mood or activity, I start playing a song and leave my playlist on shuffle so I can hear some of the old songs I haven’t listened to in a while.
I always get excited when I find out some of my favorite artistes have released a new track or album and also discover new talents. Each song I listen to touches me in a different way and most songs serve as muse for writing.
Sometimes, I feel God takes over the music library and becomes my personal DJ…lol. I feel like a new person after soaking up the music. On the gospel, contemporary Christian music side, these are some of the songs that have ministered to me on lonely, sad and confused and excited days:
- Cycles – Jonathan McReynolds
- Raba baba eh – The Gratitude
- I speak life – Donald Lawrence
- Nobody’s right – Anthem lights
- Secret place – Vashawn Mitchell
- Gracefully broken/Your spirit – Tasha Cobbs
- He’s never failed me yet/Run to Him – CeCe Winans
- Potter – Tamela Mann
- Emmanuel/Victor’s Crown – Darlene Zschech
On the country side, these are some of the songs which made me smile and thoughtful about life and love:
- Meant to be – Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line
- I’ll name the dogs – Blake Shelton
- Heartbeat – James Blunt
- Love what you’ve done with this place – Rascal Flatts
Being a huge fan of covers, these are some of my favorites:
- Stay/Praying/Havana/Issues – Pentatonix
- 7 years – Conor Maynard
For mashups: Anthem Lights and Conor Maynard do it all for me!
What song(s) define 2018 for you? Kindly share with me. There’s always room for updates when it comes to one’s music library!
© Josephine Amoako 2018