This week, we are going to step into the shoes of the average Black person in America, okay? Showing on HBO and produced by Issa Rae who plays herself on the show, it tells the story of a public school teacher and her friend who is a lawyer, finding themselves in the world they live in and the TERRIBLE choices they make in their personal lives.
1. Where would you rank it among your favourite shows?
2. From 1-10, how obsessed are you?
I struggled to finish the first episode; watching it at the end of hectic work days but from there, I was hooked! I’ll rate myself a seven.
3. How did you discover the show?
My colleague at work recommended it to me and so far, all of them have been great! Thanks, Aphua!
4. What was your initial thought of the show and did it change after watching it?
In the beginning, I thought it would be about black people feeling insecure in their environments because of their color but instead, it was more about them pushing back.
5. Why do you like the show?
I love it because it’s funny and such a stress reliever! It addresses some perceptions colored people have about Caucasians and about themselves. Issa and her friend Molly, are crazy! You expect them to know better and they do know better and yet…you have to watch it to understand.
6. Who’s your favorite character?
Issa! She’s so interesting to watch! And her rap lines are so on point! I love Molly as well. She’s messed up for sure but I love the friendship she shares with Issa.
7. Least favorite character?
Umm…haven’t found one yet.
8. How would you kill off your favorite character?
9. Who’s your crush on the show?
I don’t have one…but I think Lawrence is a pretty good guy despite everything.
10. If you were to be a character, who would you choose?
That would be hard…Issa, no; I don’t want cheat on my guy and then go on a whole ‘hoe-tation’ phase; neither do I want to be like Molly who sleeps with her childhood friend who is in an ‘open marriage’ with his wife who also happens to be Molly’s friend. Nah, so complicated!
11. Favorite season
Hmm…I love season 1 and season 2 was amazing! I can’t choose!
12. Do you follow the cast and show on Facebook and Twitter?
I follow the show on Facebook and Twitter.
13. Which of the characters would you like to meet?
Issa and Molly for sure.
14. If you could meet any of the actors, who would it be?
Issa Rae! I’d love to find out what inspired her to come up with this concept and how she’s able to play her role so well!
15. What lesson(s) have you learnt from the show?
People will never cease to look down on others because of their color or social status but that shouldn’t stop us from fighting for what we want. Anyone can make a difference. Also, cheating has consequences. It takes just one mistake to bring everything you’ve worked for tumbling down. Everyone needs friends who would tell the truth to their face. Sometimes we get blindsided with our emotions but good friends would put things into perspective for us.
Season 3 will air in 2018 God willing and I can’t wait to see it!
Do you watch the show? What do you think of it? If you haven’t, will you try? Kindly share your thoughts!
© Josephine Amoako 2017